A lab tech is a person who performs practical hands-on work in laboratories. Lab techs work in diverse settings which include health care, industry, research, and educational institutions. Lab techs may work in a wide variety of fields such as medicine, biology, chemistry, electronics, geology and the environment.
The main duties of a lab tech normally include:
- Receiving, processing and analyzing samples. Depending on the work setting, the samples may consist of blood and tissue (health care); air, water, and soil (environment and public health); chemical products (chemical and pharmaceutical industry), etc.
- Conducting tests on new products or experimental processes.
- Using, cleaning and maintaining various types of equipment.
- Handling and storing chemicals and other materials.
- Handling of compressed gas cylinders.
- Administrative tasks such as maintaining notebooks, documenting procedures, and preparing orders and invoices. 
What is the difference between OOS & OOT?
Out of specification (OOS) means an examination, measurement, or test result that does not comply with pre-established criteria. Out of trend (OOT) means a result that does not follow the expected trend either in comparison with other batches or with respect to previous results collected during a stability study.
Difference between OOS & OOT:
- A trend is a sequence of temporal procedures, e.g. for the manufacture of different batches of a product. There are two types of trends:
- In one case, no trend is expected, e.g. in production or when analyzing process data where everyone expects that they are under statistical control.
- In the other case, a trend is expected. One typical example for that is stability testing where one expects that the content of the API reduces over the storage period, or that the quantity of impurities increases over time.
Why should you use cloud-based science labs?
VirtuPharma is offering you immediate access to cloud-based science laboratories, a new way to help you expand your skills and take them to the next level in a clever way. The cloud-based science laboratories are designed to help you access all the lab equipment you need regardless of where you are now. It’s very simple to use, convenient and it will offer a great way to accumulate industry-relevant lab technician skills.